Is it Time for Electrical Rewiring?

If you have the time it can be very satisfying to undertake the DIY and renovation jobs around your home yourself. Yes, it will probably take longer to do than if you use a professional, but it will give you a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment.

Of course, there are times when the right course of action is to use a professional, no matter how much time you have spare. For example, there are plenty of level 2 electrician jobs that you shouldn’t be undertaking yourself. Electrical rewiring is one of these, it’s best to get someone who knows what they are doing to do the work for you.

Put simply, electricity is too dangerous to play with if you aren’t 100% sure of what you’re doing.

Electrical problems are one of the most common causes of fires in the home. That’s why you need to consider regular maintenance and even re-wiring when necessary. If you’re not sure when a home needs to be rewired then lookout for these common signs:

Breakers Tripping

A tripping breaker is usually a sign that the circuit has been overloaded or there is a wiring issue in the circuit. If the wiring is old, or you don’t know when it was installed, the fault could be damaged wiring, that needs to be replaced.

It’s particularly concerning if it’s different circuits that keep tripping.

Flickering Lights

If your lights keep flickering then you probably have bad wiring. This could be a bad connection in the light but you’ll need to have the wiring checked and possible replaced.

Burning Smells

New appliances generally have a slight hint of electrical burning as they bed in. However, if you smell this, or worse, and you don’t have any new appliances, then you’ve either got a faulty appliance or bad wiring.

Both are likely to result in replacing the appliance, while one also means electrical rewiring.


Sockets that are discolored and even appliances suggest there has been excessive heat at the socket, this is generally caused by a short circuit thanks to a wiring issue.

Again, you’re going to need to consider electrical rewiring your home.

Hot Appliances

Short-circuiting wires create sparks that start fires. They also create heat, which can build up and start a fire. The heat will be visible if you touch the socket or even the plug when you pull it out.

If you notice hot sockets then stop using those circuits and get them checked, it could be time to rewire.


When you turn on a light switch or anything else you shouldn’t see a spark moving between the connections. You can also sometimes feel this spark as a small electrical shock.

Again, this means you have an issue with your wiring and need professional help quickly.

It’s easier to guess your wiring needs replacing if the wiring is old. But, new wiring can be damaged by rodents and other issues, don’t assume the wiring doesn’t need replacing just because it’s relatively new. It’s always best to get it checked.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Captcha *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.